Thursday 24 February 2011

Virgin Soldiers

I acquired most of the castings in my collection already painted by their previous owners, and even in the case of the not-so-good paint jobs I still feel a bit guilty about stripping the old paint. However, some of the figures are vintage “virgin” castings (meaning they had never been painted before) still complete with their original flash metal. I like painting these castings the most because they must have sat in a lead-pile for the best part of 30 years having given up all hope of parading on a tabletop. They also remind me of the excitement of receiving a package direct from Hinton Hunt (umpteen years ago) - the figures always comprised more flash than actual figure but it was dead exciting all the same. Here’s a little taster of some units still to come.



My old friends the Prussians! These are Jagers PN24, PN25 & PN29


And these are line infantry PN4 & PN7


French Cuirassiers – I can’t wait! FN310 & FNH5


Austrian Lancers – what could be better? AN85…

I really must up my game on the painting front so that my virgin soldiers can join the old campaigners in the display cabinet and on the tabletop where they belong.

6 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Neat! And also amazing how much preparation figures used to require in the old days before they could even get a basecoat of white or gray! We really have become spoiled.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Conrad Kinch said...

I look forward to seeing them on the table.

lewisgunner said...

But we need not have suffered such flash. It was just poor business ptactice that moulds were overused and figures not made for stock. Most frustrating!
Roy

Stryker said...

Hi Roy - of course you are right, I remember buying Minifigs at the same time as HH - they were always crisply cast and flash free and the orders always arrived within a couple of days. But of course the figures never really did for me.

Ian

Rafael Pardo said...

Hi
They look like my thirty years old home-made cast miniatures. I made the moulds from Plaster of Paris and they ere full of flash
Best regards
Rafa

Paulalba said...

Hi Ian,
Yet again I missed your update on my blog list???

I totally agree with you, there is something really rewarding about finishing off figures you have had sitting around for many years.
I really like the look of the Prussian jagers.
Regards
Paul