Wednesday 9 July 2014

More Prussian perusing

Following my last post Steve kindly sent me some photos of his own Prussian Landwehr cavalry. He had a unit that was a mixture of Hinton Hunt and the DK version and confirmed that they are very hard to tell apart. This is good news for me as DK can be of variable size and quality but it means that the figures I have should fit nicely in the ranks
.
Steve's Landwehr lancers - the one on the left is DK, the one on the right is Hinton Hunt.

I’m not so sure about my Prussian Hussars though – I have a couple of Clayton castings of PN85 Prussian Hussar (mounted) charging that are pretty good quality but I’ve never been able to find any vintage figures. Recently Old John managed to find me some DK castings to make up the numbers to a full six figure squadron however, unlike the lancers, there is a bit of a size discrepancy with these.

PN85 Prussian Hussar - the Clayton HH is on the left, his kid brother DK version is on the right.

It may be that the size difference will be less pronounced when the figures are painted - well that's what I'm trying to tell myself.

7 comments:

MSFoy said...

Prussian hussars - just use bigger paint on the DK figure.

Stryker said...

Now why didn't I think of that Tony?

the Archduke said...

Not as good as bigger paint, but you can lose the difference using slightly thicker bases on the smaller figures. Thanks for sight of the Prussian page from the catalogue. Any time you want to expose other pages, it will create joy in Vienna........

Stryker said...

Archduke - sounds like the Austrian page should be next then!

the Archduke said...

How wunderbar would that be? I should 'fess up though that, like you, I am having a bit of a Prussian year.

mojoworking said...

Just discovered your blog, damn fine! Your armies are just what I wanted to have in the late 60's / early 70's. But on 2/6d a week pocket money all I could afford was Airfix plastics. Going to retire soon and will start searching e-bay for vintage HH, hope you've left some for the rest of us!
Cheers

Dave

Stryker said...

Dave - glad you like the blog and don't worry there are still plenty HH out there!