Thursday 7 September 2017

Brunswick Hussars – updated

The troopers are all BRN/17 Death's Head Hussars charging.
The back row are the figures painted by myself, Tony's are in
the front row including the trumpeter on the white horse.


After our recent battle, as he was packing his soldiers away, Tony unexpectedly offered me his unit of Brunswick Hussars which he claimed to have no further use for. Now I wouldn’t normally accept payment for umpiring a game (well, not after the event anyway) but these were genuine vintage Hinton Hunt castings and already painted to an excellent standard so I said yes please!

This little windfall has meant I have been able to expand my existing 6-figure squadron to a full 12-figure unit which had been on my wish-list for quite a while. Tony’s style of painting and the colours he used have blended in incredibly well with my own figures with just a couple of very minor tweaks. I have to say I am chuffed with the result.

Tony’s troopers included a nicely converted trumpeter and a rather splendid commander figure. The commander is converted from BN/252 Earl of Uxbridge and rides a Les Higgins horse. I will be using this figure to represent Colonel Elias Olfermann who took command of the Brunswick Corps following the death of the Duke of Brunswick at Quatre Bras.

17 comments:

Paul Liddle said...

Well you cannot look a gift horse in the mouth!, a very nice unit and a very generous gift.

Stryker said...

Ha Ha Paul, and very true!

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

Ah ! The Brunswickers one of my favourite Napoleonic mini armies , Infantry,Jeagers artillery,ulhans (?) and hussars

Stryker said...

I don't have any Uhlans but there are some infantry lurking in the lead pile!

lewisgunner said...

Lucky you, Ian. They look great and Sveik is quite right they will make a fine Black Legion to fight the French...in 1809 with a bit of imagination and poetic licence, your Schwarzers can swan across Germany . Was it the Westfalians they brushed aside? They were a pretty useless lot.

Roy

Mark Dudley said...

I like the black uniforms. I have recently got some original HH Prussian Uhlan Lancers and I am going to paint these as Lutzow Lancers in black.

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

its like they were made to go together. Well done all around.

Conrad Kinch said...

What a wonderful gift. What a fine fellow!

You will have to get them on the table now.

Stryker said...

Thanks for the comments.

One of the things I really like about this unit is that the figures have come from all over the world (US, Australia, UK) to eventually combine to make this one regiment! Surely with these lads in his ranks the Duke will have some better luck?

Wellington Man said...

I think what goes around comes around, Ian. A lovely gift for a lovely bloke.

Stryker said...

Aw-shucks Matt!

Anonymous said...

Will this wonderful gift lead to some Brunswickers making it out of the lead pile?

Paul

Stryker said...

I hope so Paul but I have a few other odds and ends to tidy up first!

MSFoy said...

They are a good match - glad that worked out! Colonel Olfermann is riding his famous horse, Trigger.

Stryker said...

Surely it's more "Hi Ho Silver"?

the Archduke said...

I was admiring these chaps in a covetous sort of way as they got cut to pieces in that last battle. They must do better as a full regiment......

Stryker said...

Yes, they did get thrashed but I'm sure they'll do better next time. I will now have to add to the light dragoons to bring them up to strength!